Dolls are featured representing aspects of Fryeburg History.

A scene form “The Stone Schoolhouse” in Fryeburg.

For example, between 1775 and 1778, Mr. Hugh Gordon taught a common school in a private home.

By 1784 the town voted to build four school houses in various locations, “measuring eighteen feet square, seven feet posts, and finished to be made comfortable in cold weather.” –At one time Fryeburg had seventeen school districts.

The Stone School House, part of District One, was constructed in 1832 and served as a one room school house for seventy-one years. It is represented in the museum as shown above.

The Fryeburg Women’s Library, established in 1890, took over the building in 1903. Today it serves as the Fryeburg Public Library. (Fryeburg, An Historical Sketch, page 119 by John Barrows)